Thursday, March 19, 2009

meditation


Surely there was a time when our minds were in a still and silent state.

Perhaps it was when we were in the quiet of our mother's womb.

Floating in water, given all we need to live.

Just to exist, not a thought about it.

No questioning, no judgment, just existence.

Why then is it so hard to get back to this place.

Where did the quiet go?

Why must we seek it out with daily practice?

I sit in a dark room

legs crossed and spine errect

I close my eyes and breath

"just listen to your breath"

there it is, the voice I want so badly to escape

"I am not the voice, I am the presence which knows the voice is there"

I breathe

I count my breath

Thoughts come like a stampede

I jump on top of one

I ride it for a while then step off

"just let it go by"

I breathe.

The life source flows in and out.

Still I have not found quiet.

Where is the stillness?

1 comment:

Like-Q said...

great poem. where is that stillness? great question. keep seeking.